I enjoyed watching the 5th anniversary of the birth of the 9/12 movement on Glenn Beck. While liberals roar about the influence of the Koch Brothers, no amount of money could have gotten these folks off their couches and out of their homes. These people are unfunded, grass roots patriots who have never been political and have formed book groups, run for school boards and party committees, joined community organizations and resolved to stop letting the liberals and progressives take over all our traditions and values, renaming them for their purposes. Each group is independent--there's no central organization, but there are 9 principles and 12 values that supports each group.
The 9 Principles
- America Is Good.
- I believe in God and He is the Center of my Life.
God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
- I must always try to be a more honest person than I was yesterday.
Honesty “I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider to be the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.” George Washington
- The family is sacred. My spouse and I are the ultimate authority, not the government.
Marriage/Family “It is in the love of one’s family only that heartfelt happiness is known. By a law of our nature, we cannot be happy without the endearing connections of a family.” Thomas Jefferson
- If you break the law you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.
Justice “I deem one of the essential principles of our government… equal and exact justice to all men of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political.” Thomas Jefferson
- I have a right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, but there is no guarantee of equal results.
Life, Liberty, & The Pursuit of Happiness “Everyone has a natural right to choose that vocation in life which he thinks most likely to give him comfortable subsistence.” Thomas Jefferson
- I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.
Charity “It is not everyone who asketh that deserveth charity; all however, are worth of the inquiry or the deserving may suffer.” George Washington
- It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.
On your right to disagree “In a free and republican government, you cannot restrain the voice of the multitude; every man will speak as he thinks, or more properly without thinking.” George Washington
- The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.
Who works for whom? “I consider the people who constitute a society or a nation as the source of all authority in that nation.” Thomas Jefferson
The 12 Values
- Hard Work
- Personal Responsibility
Glenn Beck after presenting the founding principals and values, has no role in the organization. He planned the original gathering in Washington, D.C. on September 12, 2009. There were other anti-taxation events going on at the same time.