Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Orange peel nutrition

It’s not a scientific study, but since I’ve been preparing orange peel for eating (about 2 years), I haven’t had any sore throats or colds.  The peel is more nutritious than the fruit, but I enjoy the orange, too.  I haven’t been able to find any information on how cooking the peel degrades the nutritional value.  On the other hand, I assume any testing was done on cooked peel.  Using the peel of one orange (in sections) I heat it in a cup in the microwave, change the water, and repeat about 3 times. I cut each section into small strips.  Then I soak it over night in sugar water, drain, and sprinkle with sugar and refrigerate.  It’s not like orange peel candy, much softer and still slightly bitter.  However, I don’t eat much at one time.  Maybe one small strip a day.

image

No comments: