Saturday, September 06, 2014

Key Ignition Park problem in Chrysler Town and Country and Dodge Caravan

This is what's happening with my 2010 Town and Country Chrysler van, and since I found the problem on Google, it looks like I'm not alone and it is in a number of years of models. If I restart, move it a few inches, then place in Park very firmly, I can usually get the key out, but not always. Alternate key works only slightly better.

Intermittently, the key may not start the car or release from the ignition. If it is excessively worn, replace the key. If the new key doesn't work, replacing the lock cylinder including tumblers should correct this concern.

 http://repairpal.com/key-may-not-start-car-or-release-from-ignition-081

Then I found a recall notice, but I haven’t been notified.

RECALL Subject : Ignition Switch may Turn Off , 1 INVESTIGATION(S)
Report Receipt Date: JUN 26, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V373000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 438,109
All Products Associated with this Recall
Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s)
CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY 2008-2010
DODGE GRAND CARAVAN 2008-2010
DODGEJOURNEY 2009-2010

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello I found your blog was one of the few that addressed my problem with my 2008 Town and Country. I took my van to my local and trusted transmission shop. I told them what was happening and they had not seen this before. They looked the entire system over and found in the dashboard on the shift lever there is a pin that was bent. The pin is what makes contact with a switch in the dash telling the computer the van is in park and it is ok to allow key to be removed. They were able to remove the pin and straighten it. They reinstalled it with a strong adhesive. My problem is fixed and the total cost was about $175.00 which could be less for someone if they read this and can give there repair shop a head start and not start from scratch like mine. I hope this helps everyone and don't fall for the WIN problem all the dealerships are telling people costing $800.00 or more and not fixing the problem. Thank you and I hope this will help someone. Solomon