Monday, September 08, 2014

Oh look, something Obama isn’t good at . . . optics

James Taranto column:  "[Barack] Obama had always had a high estimation of his ability to cast and run his operation," the New York Times's Jodi Kantor wrote in her 2012 book, "The Obamas" (quoted here by National Review's Jim Geraghty). "I think I could probably do every job on the campaign better than the people I'll hire to do it," then-Sen. Obama told job interviewee David Plouffe in 2006. "I think I'm a better speechwriter than my speechwriters," he told another job candidate, Patrick Gaspard. "I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I'll tell you right now that I'm gonna think I'm a better political director than my political director"--namely Patrick Gaspard.

In the 68th month of his presidency, Obama says he has found something he's not good at. "Part of this job is . . . the theater of it," he told Chuck Todd, the new host of NBC's "Meet the Press." "Well, it's not something that always comes naturally to me. But it matters. And I'm mindful of that."

The comment was part of the president's answer to the following question from Todd: "I've got to ask, so during that vacation, you made the statement on [James] Foley"--the American journalist who'd just been beheaded by ISIS--"you went and golfed. Do you want that back?" (Meaning: Do you regret it?)

After complaining about being "followed everywhere" and wishing for a "vacation from the press," Obama meandered toward an affirmative answer: "Because the possibility of a jarring contrast given the world's news, there's always going to be some tough news somewhere, it's going to be there. But there's no doubt that after having talked to the families, where it was hard for me to hold back tears listening to the pain that they were going through after the statement that I made, that I should've anticipated the optics."

Wall Street Journal, Best of the Web, September 8, 2014

My opinion: he’s culturally and emotionally tone deaf. When it comes to Muslims, even those who behead Americans, he only can see “extremists.”  When it comes to anything dealing with the military, even elderly sick veterans, he is deaf and blind.

1 comment:

Norma said...

You don't like the truth because James Taranto writes it? Sorry. But it's my web site; you can set up your own and write nasty tirades against people who haven't finished a college degree and have the career you wanted but don't have.