Thursday, March 10, 2005

893 Introduction to New Links

Two new ladies I’d like to introduce today: Sal in Virginia and Jordan who has loads to do. I think they meet my criteria for good writing, sharp wit and insightful thinking. Sal recommends an article in NYT on religious blogging. Some interesting stuff going on and some URLs I recognize because I read and link to some of those bloggers either here or my other, other blog. Sal and Jordan are already on one of my rolls, but they’ll be easier to find in my special “ladies only” group.

Speaking of which, I do wish Christian bloggers would be a bit kinder and gentler to each other. (If you’re not a Christian and reading this, you are not even in their cross-hairs.) The other day I found a directory of Lutheran churches for travelers so they could find liturgical services while on the road. However, if the church also offered an alternative informal service in addition, with praise choruses instead of liturgy and hymns, they couldn’t be listed. It was a pretty short list, and I didn’t see any in Columbus. So I guess the travelers either stay in the hotel that day, or find an Episcopal service. Some of these churches will offer Spanish language services, but not services that a graying ELCA boomer or a tattooed, pink-haired Gen-X-er who sort of speaks English might enjoy. If you are in town, come on over to http://www.ualc.org, we’ve got three locations, and two of the ten services will have liturgy (usually, well, maybe).

I love a formal service--it‘s my favorite choice for worship, but come on folks. And it isn’t that I’m picking on Lutherans--I see the same attitude among the reformed and the baptist style bloggers only the squabble isn't about liturgy. Let’s show a little charity. The big guy loves it. Something about neighbors.

2 comments:

Susan said...

This is truly amazing that I would stumble upon your blog through Greg's website "SHUSH". Everytime I take a look at your posts I find we have more and more in common.

I actually found your church's website when I was looking for my brother's ELCA church in Arlington, MA just last week! Ironically, I was very, close to majoring in cello at Capital. I chickened out and went to Michigan State which was closer to home. (MY 2nd cousin from Worthington also went to MSU that year--lots of Ohioans in my family, including both parents.)

As for this recent post, I think it is a terrible shame to not list Lutheran churches if they offer both liturgical and contemporary services. I love the liturgy and it is truly very hard to find it anywhere anymore. However, the best thing that happened to my family is finding our ELCA church. Calvary Lutheran in Clarkston, MI has three services: Traditional/Liturgical, Blended, and Contemporary. Frankly, I need it all to nourish my soul. And, I'm NOT a big fan of the blended services--I need real, solid, sacramental Lutheran tradition AND Spirit-filled Praise and Worship, but not at the same service. Because of the variety of worship, our congregation includes pink-haired punks, grey-haired old ladies, and everyone in between. The great benefit of this is that our small groups include people of all generations and tastes...what an abundant blessing!

Norma said...

And I've had a Mustang!