Friday, March 11, 2005

894 Library Journal Nonsense

You can’t always trust a librarian, particularly if it comes to politics or religion. If you saw all the anti-administration and new age books on the "new book" shelves at my public library you'd see what I mean. You can, of course, trust me, because I used to be a humanist and a liberal, and I‘ve seen the light. And I'm also a blogger, part of the "information reformation." However, I do remember all the good things, like having an open mind--so wide open you could drive a dump truck of misinformation through it and come out the other end empty. Anyway. Enough about me. According to Books and Culture this precious bit of hyperbole appeared in Library Journal:

The Library Journal has this to say about Dan Brown's book The Da Vinci Code: "This masterpiece should be mandatory reading. Brown solidifies his reputation as one of the most skilled thriller writers on the planet with his best book yet, a compelling blend of history and page-turning suspense. Highly recommended."“

Brown does use a lot of historical material, which he freely mixes with fiction, misinformation, lies and gnosticism--just about anything other than Biblical truth. My dear relative (who faithfully attends church on Easter, Christmas and Mother’s Day) loved it and millions like her have kept it firmly on the best seller list.

Church members, particularly women, have contributed to its popularity. Teaching and preaching is so weak in our male managed mainline and evangelical churches, and women are relegated to such a minor role, particularly in the pulpit and seminaries, that our Christian leadership has left us sitting ducks for the Dan Browns of this world.

Jesus and Mary Magdalene? Mystery religions? Hidden, rediscovered gospels? If you know anything about cults and false teachings over the last few centuries, or even popular fiction, there is nothing new here. Brown just writes a better story. And that story is as old as the serpent chatting up Eve, “now, sweety, what exactly is it God said you could eat?” But also, if the churches taught the true role of women given to them by Jesus reported very clearly in the New Testament Gospels (have you ever noticed women followers always “got it” when the male disciples were still scratching their heads), maybe we wouldn’t have so much drivel on the best seller list. Sigh.

4 comments:

Badaunt said...

Over at Language Log they had some interesting things to say about The DaVinci Code:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000844.html

Norma said...

“committing style and word choice blunders in almost every paragraph . . .
writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad. In some passages scarcely a word or phrase seems to have been carefully selected or compared with alternatives. . .”

Thanks. A non-religious reason not to read the Dan Brown Code. I love that Language Log site, but this appeared before I started reading it.

doyle said...

"Burgundy!"

http://acoolchange.blogspot.com/2005/01/da-vinci-code.html

http://tinyurl.com/4styt

Maggie said...

Hi Norma,

I have just done a surf to your blog. I have not read the DaVinci Code and I am determined that I will not read what is truly trash.

It is odd what you say about librarians because a friend of mine, who is both Catholic and a librarian has been busy recommending this book to my friends.

I have seen some comments that have been based upon the "facts" in this book and I must admit to feeling very annoyed about what was implied in the comments. The last comment I saw was in a newspaper article about a case involving a demand for ransom relating to a very big construction company and how a code similar to the Da Vinci code had been cracked. The comments are nonsense because decoding these codes is common amongst puzzlers. However, the article then went on to make rather stupid remarks about Opus Dei, claiming that they were a secret organization involved in intrigue in the medieval period.

Considering that Opus Dei is not a secret society and was formed in the 1920s I cannot understand where such information has come from, except from the head of Dan Brown.

There are so many errors of fact from what I have heard that I would not bother with something that is so historically inaccurate. Yes, I do know about the Gnostic Gospels and the tripe about Jesus allegedly being married to Mary of Magdala, which is a charge that was also made by Barbara Thiering.