Monday, April 18, 2005

Cell phone follies

My husband has a cell phone which I rarely use. It's hardly ever turned on, so consequently the messages build up. But we don't know how to access them. In 2001 we loaned the phone to our son, so the message is his voice and 4 years old with all the wrong information. During our trip to Illinois it began beeping whenever we had it on, so we turned it off, which meant anyone who tried to call us, got the 4 year old message. When you've been married 45 years, it's the little things that start to bug you--like why don't you just go to the local office and have them show you what to do?

Today I left the house with the cell phone in my purse and was determined to find out how to listen to a message. They were nice at the cell phone office, but since he hadn't listed me as an owner on the account, they wouldn't give me the password which is needed to get the messages. They did offer me a nice deal on new service with 2 phones, however. Each person who looked at our cell phone said something along the order of, "my, this is so old I've never even seen one like it." Reminded me of the time I took my camera that still had film in it from 1957 to a shop in 1975 and the camera was older than the clerk.

My husband didn't know his password, so finally we called the 800 number which instructed us in the 337 numbers we had to enter to change the password. Finally I got it figured out. There were about 5 messages from a female Indian or Pakistani doctor who had been paged, supposedly from our number. There were a couple of hang-ups and one with people just talking in the background. Then 3 from my brother-in-law telling us about a detour, and then from Duke inviting us to stay for lunch on Saturday.

I'm still thinking about the offer of new service and phone. Sounded like a good deal. And no one would laugh at our poor little phone.

No comments: