Wednesday, November 16, 2005

1781 Kroger workers to strike

Go ahead. I don't care. We stocked up on our favorite kitty litter (biodegradeable and dust free) this week and I won't darken your doors again until she's crossing her little legs.

I used to be a loyal Kroger shopper--I knew which house brands were as good as name; I knew all the cashiers and stockers and produce people. Then upper management decided they needed a "loyalty card" to compete with other chains. I don't like to play games with my food, my airlines or my credit card, so I walked.

They sell that information you give them--they don't just track your purchases. Loyalty cards are just one more way to add to the cost of anything you buy. I do use the little coffee card they punch at Panera's when I buy a cup of coffee (they don't ask for information). After eight cups, I get a freebie. Since it only costs about 10 cents to make a $1.50 cup of coffee, they aren't out much, nor are you, the other consumers who pay for loyalty and rewards plans. Staples (office supplies) doesn't offer a two tier price range, like grocery stores, and since it is only 1/2 mile from here I do use theirs (don't need to have the card with me), and they keep sending me $10 off my printing costs which I think is more than I spend.

"In the U.S., several major grocery store chains and at least one major pharmacy nectar loyalty card require the cards in order for customers to receive the advertised loyalty price. These include loyalty card machines Kroger, Safeway (through its own name and many of its regional chain names), Albertsons, Winn Dixie, Ingles, and CVS/pharmacy. However, stores also allow a customer to use the store's card if loyalty card statistics a customer does not have theirs on hand or if the customer is new and agrees to sign up right away. Many of the stores allow accumulation of fuel discounts. Some have tie-ins with airline frequent flier programs, and some agree to donate a percentage of sales to a designated charity.

The practice is also common among book and music retailers, from large chains to independent retailers. In some instances, the customer purchases the card and receives a percentage discount on all purchases for a period of time (often one year), while in other instances, a customer receives a one-time percentage discount upon reaching a specified purchase level. (For example, a bookseller's loyalty card program might provide a customer with a 10% off coupon once the customer has spent $200.00 at the bookseller.)

In addition, office supply retailers Staples, Inc. and Office Depot started issuing club cards in 2005." TaxGloss.com I used to be able to use the store card, but not anymore (at Kroger's), and they have a hissy fit if you borrow one from the guy behind you in line. So if they are only tracking merchandise, why would they care whose card records the purchase? Nope, they want that personal information about their shoppers. I have a friend who just gives inaccurate information on the forms. Why should I let a retailer dictate my ethics and cause me to lie?

No comments: