Thursday, November 24, 2005

1820 The segue to immigrants--our strength

If I'd asked Jane to play second banana, she couldn't have done better. She checked out my 2003 Thanksgiving post about looking for a cup of coffee:

"Many employers really do give Thanksgiving Day off. This morning I had quite a search to find an open coffee shop. Panera’s, Caribou, Starbucks, Bob Evans, Tim Horton’s, Wendy’s, McDonald’s. All were closed so employees could enjoy time with their families, or time to sleep in, or time to clean the garage.

Finally I saw an open White Castle and pulled in. I’d never been in one. No house newspaper or classical music, just big windows and small booths, but the coffee was excellent. Perhaps because it was a holiday with no baggage for them, there were two Hispanics, an Asian woman, a developmentally disabled man, and a Canadian supervisor (I don’t know that, but his haughty attitude and countenance reminded me of Peter Jennings, so I’m calling him a Canadian) working the pre-dawn hours. I’ll have to stop back tomorrow--they wouldn’t take a $20--and said I could pay next time."

Jane of Sisters of the Tender Heart writes a wonderful blog about being a librarian, a mother, a wife and a Catholic, commented:

"OK, I know you're going to sigh and move my blog to your lefty bloggers listing (as if you had one), but isn't it ironic on Thanksgiving only minority groups have to work: two Hispanics, an Asian woman, a developmentally disabled man, and a Canadian supervisor. . . a Native American would have made it perfect."

To which I replied:

"Yes, that would indeed be the liberal view. The conservative view is that this is the land where immigrants are still welcome, where even when their English is barely passable, they can work if they want to, that they were given the choice, and were probably paid double time for a holiday, even though to them it was just another day. And the happiest guy in the store was probably the developmentally disabled, because he really wants to make a contribution to society and White Castle is giving him that opportunity.

And the Asian lady probably has a daughter in college, and the Hispanic who now rides a bicycle to work in the dark is saving for a car, something he'd never be able to afford in the old country.

Is this a great country or what?"

Thanks for the set up Jane--today let's be thankful for our country's immigrants--current and past. My ancestor immigrants came in the 1600s and 1700s, looking for freedom of religion and a better life (religious discrimination in the old country prevented them from owning land, starting businesses, etc.). I would mention the Native Americans in this essay, but some are offended if you mention the Bering Straits immigration.

5 comments:

Feed Fido said...

Happy Thanksgiving Norma ; -)

Feed Fido said...

PS
I hear they're hiring retirees who can't afford their prescription drugs. Just think you'll be there when your bridge group stops by. But I know you're saved up- you'll never donn a fire retardant apron (thanks OSHA).

Bonita said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Norma ~

Lori said...

All that from a cup of coffee at White Castle. What's wrong with your pot at home? One morning out of the 364 days of the year when almost every business is closed and yet you venture out for coffee.
Maybe it's what they do in Ohio. Maybe those folks were working because they had to, because their lousy company banks on those few people looking for a cup of coffee and a crummy what passes for hamburger on Thanksgiving Day. Maybe those people would have rather been home with their families too. Advantageous employment isn't always a social advantage, nor an advancement.
Too much Nick at Nite, Norma and Donna Reed........Oh and Happy Thanksgiving, hope you had coffee at home this year.

Norma said...

I make really awful coffee, but yesterday the weather was nasty, and I did dust off my Mr. Coffee 3-cup maker.

"Going out" for coffee is something I've done for about 50 years--starting probably when I worked the counter at the drug store in my home town. That's when it was $.10 a cup and I'd get a dime tip and all the town's gossip for free. It is still a social event, at least for me. That's why I have a special blog about coffee shops. So you see, I've been on the other side of the counter too.