Tuesday, January 23, 2007

3395 Are you living in the fast lane?

Karen Quinn wants to talk. She's got a contest and you can reach her by video, essay or e-mail, or just send one line, but you've got to get it in by February 16. I've looked through the list of prizes, and I'm here to tell ya, this is one fabulous contest. This is Karen's way to market her new book, Wife in the Fast Lane. Pretty clever.

Here's a sample of a one-liner:

"I was coloring my hair, sending a file to the office, answering a students question on the phone that “just can’t wait”, and helping a 2 year old heifer have her first calf."

If you're from the city you probably didn't know "heifer" is the word for a cow that hasn't been a mommy yet. Or that there are 55 different words in English for sheep. I guess cattle get to claim that word "heifer" right up to the time the little guy pops out. Sounds like the way some people use virgin, doesn't it?

I've never lived in the fast lane--don't even know where it is or how to get there. Anyone got a map? Keep it. I've spent my life carefully arranging my schedule, saying NO to things I really didn't want to do, and avoiding high maintenance people who would chew up my free time. As it says in my bio, somewhere, "My motto is you can have it all, just not all at the same time."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take my hat off to you Norma. My biggest problem in life is that I say YES to everyone. In truth I guess that "I just the girl who can't say no". The problem is of course is that a: I get overloaded, and b: Things aren't always done as well as they should be.

It think it's a confidence thing.....

Maybe I'll write a blog about it!!

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, "My motto is you can have it all, just not all at the same time." is pretty much what Karen's Wife in the Fast Lane book is all about. :>)

Norma said...

I've had that motto on my blog for over 3 years, but I'm sure it isn't original to my life. I just think being frantic and frazzled is way over rated.