Saturday, August 09, 2008

Avocado smoothie

Why? That's the word that comes to my mind. Not only why would you make a smoothie, but why avocado (admittedly, I don't like them). But Small Bites is always an interesting read, at least the entries I've read. Here's the recipe I will never make, but maybe you're feeling adventurous today.
    INGREDIENTS:

    1/2 cup ice cubes
    1/2 cup skim or soy milk (plain or unsweetened)
    1/2 cup halved strawberries
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/2 Hass avocado
    1 Tablespoon wheat germ
    1 Tablespoon oat bran
    2 teaspoons ground flaxseed

    NOTE: For a less thick smoothie, add extra milk or water, depending on your specific caloric preference.

    DIRECTIONS:

    Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend for 20 - 30 seconds.

    NUTRITION FACTS:

    381 calories
    18 g fat (2 grams saturated fat)
    15 grams fiber
    3 grams added sugar (if made with plain soy milk)
    11 grams protein

    Excellent Source of: Monounsaturated fats, vitamin C, vitamin K, manganese, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid.

    Good Source of: Copper, folate, potassium
I'd just rinse off and cut up a few strawberries, sprinkle with blueberries, and add a little Cool Whip (or nothing), if I wanted a treat. But even so, I've learned that "treats" even healthy ones lead to "snacks" which lead to overeating. If I snack on a piece of fruit, I want a chaser of cheddar cheese. Also, I think drinking your calories, even if they are "good for you" is one of the reasons Americans are getting fat. It's not nearly as satisfying, it doesn't require sitting down and paying attention to what you're doing, and speeds up the process. The writer of Small Bites just loves flaxseed (ground). Adds it to a bunch of stuff. I tried that a few times and found it truly. . . awful. I think it sat in the back of the refrigerator until I took pity on it and threw it out. Andy has a nice video on the 5 healthiest foods to always keep on hand, and I have 4 of them and wholeheartedly agree--especially the canned black beans and boil in a bag rice. But please, no floating flaxseed. Yuk.

No comments: