Saturday, August 16, 2008

Rick Warren and the campaign

When I heard what Warren planned to do I told my husband that it appears he wants to be the next Billy Graham (he always met with presidents regardless of their faith). A friend of mine from high school, let's call him Dave since that's his name, sends a Bible study a few times a week via e-mail to various home boys and girls. Today he commented on Warren's work and prominence. Here's my take, revised from my e-mail to Dave.

Our home congregation (UALC, Columbus, OH) is a believing church and used Warren's Purpose Driven Life as a sermon series about 4 years ago. I read and liked it, for the most part. I compare it to a fad diet--works for awhile and then you yo-yo back to your previous weight. I think for believers it is icing on the cake--can remind them of some things more traditional Bible preachers either forget or don't emphasize. But for unbelievers it is really loaded with fat and empty calories and they could be misled with good feelings and great intentions, thinking it is of God.

I'm analytical--if I don't hear or read some version of "Did you know Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins and rose from the grave and you can too" early in the sermon or book, then I look for what the speaker/writer is building on. Usually it is a version of good works (environmentalism, humanism, political activism, human relationships). Most people desperately want to believe in something, and when it isn't the saving work of Jesus, it tends to be some type of trendy prayer, or human effort (fight global warming), or multiple gods. However, I have to remember that just as there are multipe learning styles, so there are many methods through which God reaches people depending on their personalities and emotional make-up. I've heard plenty of well-intentioned, Biblical sermons that could drive a person into a long nap. Yes, God could reach you in your dreams, but probably not if you're snoring through the sermon. I love certain programs on Catholic radio and TV, but when it's a panel investigating the miracles of praying to Mary or a particular saint, I reach for the remote. It's not for me. Warren just doesn't fit the needs of many Christians; he's Jesus-lite.

Rick Warren has a huge church. I hope that after he draws them down the saw dust trail with the preaching, music and programming, there is a sound small group to disciple the new members or visitors with solid Bible teaching. I've heard there is--sort of bait and switch. The only problem I have with that method, and I've told my own pastors this, you never know when you're in that pulpit (or even conversation) whether this is your last or only chance to reach that person, and God has put him there that Sunday for you to witness to the Good News.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Norma;

I have had my reservations about Mr. Warren; no preacher should ever be bigger than the Master. With that said there are two fine men running for office: Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party and Bob Barr of the Libertarian party, who were not invited to Warren’s little shin dig. Both men speak about freedom and liberty, while the two invited speak about more government and more imperialism. Both of these men should have been invited and it seems very suspect that they were not. There is nothing in the US Constitution that says we can only have two political parties. The Soviets had one, and we have two; hurray we are better than them.

If you explore the book of Deuteronomy, God lays out how the Israelites should live, which if I may hit upon two points, they were to be decentralized and have only defensive military capability. It is my opinion the founders of this country new this and believed the same. Warren in his misguided perspective, as has been the case with many Evangelicals of late, looks to control the Leviathan. Warren believes that man can wield the mighty power of government. Nothing could be further from the truth. Tolkien expressed this fallacy in the Lord of the Rings. Certainly the metaphor of the “one ring” has many meanings, but one is certainly the unwieldy power of government.

Anyway, I really enjoy your thoughts, keep on bloggin!

Anonymous said...

Hi Norma--

God has given us a Savior in Jesus Christ. Without Him no one can enter into Heaven. By Faith a person is saved, and it is by Faith alone. Rick Warren should preach about Jesus Christ and the New Covenant, which is the message of the Cross.

The Holy Spirit is the Only Way the Believer can overcome the World, the Flesh, and the Devil. Most do not know how the Holy Spirit works in the Heart of the
Believer. A preacher is to teach us as a Believer, how we are to live for Almighty God and have the Victory.

Many go to church and do not know Jesus Christ personally. They do not understand how Faith moves the Holy Spirit to mold and shape the heart of the Believer and break the the bondage of Sin in their lives.

Grace is the unmerited favor of God for those who seek His face. When scripture tells us, to grow in Grace and knowledge of our Lord, many will resist the
leading of the Holy Spirit because they love the pleasures of this World more than Christ Jesus. The Bible says they are Spiritually Lost, and they are Asleep, they are Lukewarm, ect, ect,.

We are commanded to warn those who are about to Perish for their unbelief. Some one has to tell them that their name can be blotted out of the Book of Life.
Yes, the preacher is to warn them and preach about Sin, and how the Believer can be an over-comer by the moving of the Holy Spirit in their lives.

Psychology is not the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Purpose Driven Life is not scripture. Thank you- David

Norma said...

Although I didn't watch the debate, I've seen snipets on regular news, with Obama supporters saying he was better, and McCain supporters going for him.

I read Obama's testimony well over a year ago, and I think his opponents who claim he is a Muslim, don't understand the Christian faith. I have many complaints about the man's politics, but see no reason to question his faith. In fact, it may be the only time I've ever heard a UCC-ian ever give a testimony that included traditional Christian elements. They could learn a few things from him; even reinsert the word "sin" in their theology.