Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday Family Photo--The Weybrights


This is a very clever way to display as many people in a family tree as possible. Line the photos up on the cover. The woman who compiled this list, Elizabeth Miller Lane, wasn't even related--she just enjoyed doing genealogy and must have found all her own family! The fellow in the upper right hand corner, Jesse P. Weybright, is the one who got me interested in genealogy. He wrote a small book, "Genealogy of Martin Weybrecht; Weybright Waybright also Martin Waybright Highland County, Virginia 1800" in the mid-1930s and I inherited a copy from my grandmother, who had purchased a copy for each of her children. I was never able to figure out the numbering system of the generations, but fortunately, grandma made a few notes around 1938 before I was born--because her family was left out and she wrote them in. (I suspect grandpa got the inquiry from his cousin Jesse and he just tossed it--as 2nd cousin once removed James says, it's usually the women who keep track of these things.) If we were there, we'd be on p. 48, Vol. 2 Book II. Chapter 7, v. 7, sect. 8.

2 comments:

Hazel said...

I also wonder about my family history. I saw my mother's maiden surname on my 5th grade Philippine History textbook and has been since wondering about it. Maybe one day I'll get to it.

I came to your blog from your link on the comment you left on my Thursday Thirteen post. I somehow couldn't find yours, but I thank you for visiting my T13 and I'll be back soon to have another look at you blogs. I skimmed and found many interesting things here. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Where does JW Weybright fit in on our family tree...I have a handmade 24 inch ruler (and the numbers read from 24 down to 1 rather than the other way around). I'm sure great-grandpa Charlie had it...perhaps a brother?...Amy