Thursday, June 09, 2011

Why we watch reality TV

OK. You caught me. I do watch some reality TV--like the people looking for 2nd homes in exotic places for $2.5 million on HGTV; the guys pimping their semi-trucks purple and pink; the fellows bidding on lockers full of stuff so that they can earn a living at auctions; occasionally a hoarding show on TLC; the clothes closet make-overs on What Not to Wear. Once in awhile I turn on one of those talent shows ala Arthur Godfrey 50 years ago. But never those shows that involve "rejection, elimination, and other forms of public humiliation." So why do people watch this stuff?

1) Connection; 2) Self esteem boost (Geez, I'm not THAT bad); 3) Social information (what NOT to do).

Right now I'm watching (sort of) the Weather Channel--first hurricane of the season is Adrienne, or Adrian (haven't seen its spelling). I suppose that's a reality show. We're having a neighborhood picnic tonight.

Psych Your Mind: Why we watch reality TV

2 comments:

Norma said...

Adrian.

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

Fun post. :) I did try that clothing reality show once but I could tell they would hate my wardrobe - casual, comfy, and even some full elastic waist pants and jeans for those "times" of the month (year) - as handy for me as my senior dad! :) The weather channel, though, I do love - when it's the current weather during tornado season or snow season. Now THAT kind of reality show can keep me hooked for hours. :) Have a blessed week.