Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bodice rippers workshop

Romance novelists have to be accurate (historical romance is 25% of the take), so someone (the cleverness of these people just amazes me) supplies a clothing workshop on Victorian dress. Deeanne Gist shows writers how "to squeeze into a dozen layers that a lady would have worn in the 1860s—stockings, garters, bloomers, chemise, corset, crinoline or hoop skirt, petticoats, a shirtwaist or blouse, skirt, vest and bolero jacket. By the end, workshop attendees were skeptical that seductions ever occurred, with so many sartorial barriers."

I've never worn a corset, but I do occasionally wear a back brace, and I can assure you there's nothing easy about that, and something has to go under it to protect my skin. Whatever it pushes out of the way in keeping me from bending over, bulges out somewhere else! And in Victorian days they didn't have velcro which makes getting in and out a little faster than lacing. And in those days bloomers were not pants, but two legs tied together at the waist so one could use the toilet without disrobing. So maybe. . .

How to Undress a Victorian Lady in Your Next Historical Romance - WSJ.com

2 comments:

Norma said...

Paula is the expert on Romance writers, so maybe she'll stop by.

Paula said...

Hi there! Lately I've been mostly reading contemporary romances, but I have read a lot of historicals in my day. Those writers certainly do their research, whether clothing, food, wars, geography, etc. People do not give them enough credit.