Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I defend her right to burgers and fries

It's not often I defend Mrs. Obama--only in 2 areas--as a fine example for other young women in marriage and family (i.e., she married the father of her children) and in her desire to see a healthier America (even if I don't always support her methods like that garden someone else has to take care of). All First Ladies seem to come under attack--they (the opposition) were merciless with Hilary Clinton and Nancy Reagan. They even picked on Mary Lincoln. Lady Bird wanted to beautify the country and campaigned against bill boards and she succeeded. Helen Taft wanted to beautify Washington, D.C. with better parks and she succeeded. So Michelle Obama wants us not to be so fat.

Meanwhile, yesterday she ate a 1700 calorie lunch (burger fries shake) and the conservative bloggers and talkers are going crazy. Lighten up. Criticize her politics--that's bad enough. However, diabetes and high blood pressure are serious and even more deadly in the black community. We all pay for that in loss of lives, and in our own insurance costs, whether it's Obamacare or one of the Blues.

Also, every dieter knows an occasional pig-out helps the cause.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Very true. You have to mix it up to confuse the metabolism, else it gets sluggish and lazy, figuring out how to do the least amount of work. People wonder how I can eat dessert and weigh 110. Well, it's because my calorie counts vary greatly day to day. Took me a long time to understand this -- I used to try to eat exactly the same all the time. Wrong!

Norma said...

You're a smart lady, Paula.

Carol............. said...

I think it's great that she treated herself to such a great meal. In fact it would be fine with me if she decided to have such a meal for breakfast lunch and dinner daily........

as long as she keeps her nose out of what I eat! MEOW LOL

(But seriously, I haven't had that kind of meal in forever...because I choose not to and not because of some individual who thinks she knows what's best for me.

I think this is what ticks most people off about her and others who like to dictate what WE do but are hypocrites in their own lives be it liberals or conservatives.)

Paula said...

Thanks, Norma! I had some more to say at my blog on this topic.
http://lightmotifs.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/weighty-thoughts/

Also linked you. :)