Thursday, July 21, 2011

Who's the bigger hypcrite?

Bob Conners on WTVN this morning interviewed a woman named Heather about some awards for really "bad-for-you" restaurant food, where a serving might have enough sugar and cholesterol for 3 days, and enough calories to fuel you for an entire day. I was waiting for one more nanny-state recommendation like eating green or planting a garden, but then she surprised me with her own hypocrisy. She put herself through graduate studies in nutrition by working at the Cheesecake Factory (and she was bold enough to claim you could eat healthy there if you reduced your portions, which of course no one does. You don't go to the Cheesecake Factory for a low-calorie, healthy meal.) She said her customers always looked a bit shame faced when she told them what she was studying, because they knew without being told, that they weren't eating right.

This is a different case, but I can recall NOT applying for the Women's Studies Library position at Ohio State University back in the 80s because I knew, 1) I would be required to buy, disseminate and distribute materials that violated my personal ethics, and that, 2) I wouldn't be able to do a good job for the people who needed that library for their research because of my own beliefs. Sure, I could've slipped in a title or two with a Christian viewpoint, but who would be fooled by that?

Everyone makes choices, Heather. You could've worked in the Human Ecology library and made less, but with a clear conscience.

3 comments:

Paula said...

I took some Women's Studies class at CSUN because it fit my schedule and asked the professor if I could write my final paper on romance novels. She was very cheerful about it, said go ahead. I did, and she gave me an A. Some of them can be open-minded!

Paula said...

Btw, I occasionally go to the CF, but never order dessert. They have good pasta dishes and salads -- of course I assume those are high calorie, too, and behave accordingly.

Norma said...

I've only been to one CF, but if I went, I'd ONLY eat dessert. That's what they are famous for and I love cheesecake.

One of my male student employees took a women's studies class as an elective for a humanities requirement. She terrorized the men in the class--he was afraid to use the world "human" in writing a paper because it contained "man."