Thursday, September 15, 2011

Like minded, but not united

Saturday night I attended a gathering of "like minded" conservatives. They were all Christians, but members of a number of different churches from Lutheran to Roman Catholic to Pentecostal to "not a member." And their issues were diverse, too--abortion (Heartbeat bill), Issue 2 (public unions), Issue 3 (defeating Obamacare), protecting Israel from extremists to confronting jihadism at home. But none of these issues will matter if Americans continue to struggle financially, because they'll lose interest in the highly charged and critical moral issues.

People are waking up about Obama. As a Senator his pro-growth voting record was ZERO. He hasn't changed as President. The Tea Party gets it; the 9/12 Glenn Beck groups get it; the libertarians get it; about 50% of the Republicans get it; and about 25% of the undeclared, fence-sitters get it. Time to shake things up in local elections this November and nationally next November.

The new old jobs bill is a joke. He hasn't bothered to even discuss the plan the Republicans came up with months ago, but he demands on his campaign tour that they pass his (which no one filed so now it isn't even titled Jobs Bill--a different bill is). This one is even worse than the one he proposed last year because it draws down Social Security even more.

As for me, I'll work on the Heartbeat bill. Might save a child or two and the two parties will still be arguing about jobs.

3 comments:

Paula said...

I am so disgusted with both sides that I'm thinking of not voting. I was brought up to believe this is terribly wrong however. As you know, I am prochoice and progay, so I think, OK, hold my nose and vote Dem, but then again they really don't seem to have a clue about the economy, which is more important right now. So I think, OK, hold my nose and vote Republican, but these people are seriously cheering on the deaths of the uninsured. I just can't.

Norma said...

The "cheering the deaths of the uninsured" is a media-Obama-myth. If even all those eligible for Medicaid had been signed up, more would be covered than the slack Obamacare would pick up. So we already have the programs to take care of the uninsured, but his goal is to destroy private insurance, so that we'll all get the crappy gov't coverage.

Anonymous said...

I guess Norma didn't watch the last 2 Republican debates where that sympathetic crowd clearly did applaud and cheer for the uninsured. I agree with Paula, don't like the anti-gay, anti-women's right to chose and anti-science stance.

But not voting is NOT an option. My other option is to vote against every single incumbent,,,, except Dick Lugar and President Obama. There are a few other incumbents I would vote for,,,TNTC.
Lucy