Friday, September 16, 2011

Sometimes you have to break the bad news. . .

My husband was dabbing some peanut butter and jelly on his Ritz crackers at lunch (with the football design) and he sighed, "I don't think Ritz taste as good as they used to."

"Well, honey, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I've read that as we age, our taste buds start to fade. I'm afraid this is a complaint many people our age have about their favorite foods."

But I don't think he believed me.
The number of taste buds decreases beginning at about age 40 to 50 in women and at 50 to 60 in men. Each remaining taste bud also begins to atrophy (lose mass). The sensitivity to the four taste sensations does not seem to decrease until after age 60, if at all. If taste sensation is lost, usually salty and sweet tastes are lost first, with bitter and sour tastes lasting slightly longer.

Additionally, your mouth produces less saliva as you age. This causes dry mouth, which can make swallowing more difficult. It also makes digestion slightly less efficient and can increase dental problems.

The sense of smell may diminish, especially after age 70. This may be related to loss of nerve endings in the nose. Medline

No comments: