Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Sautéed Vegetables with Cashews


This looked awfully good when it came via e-mail from The World's Healthiest Foods. The vegetables are several types of peppers, onions and snow peas cooked in a little chicken broth tossed with cashews and a little home made dressing. Love that sort of stuff for lunch. But. When I looked up the nutritional values I found this: 372.28 calories per serving, of which 266.17 calories are from fat. The culprit seems to be the cashews--1 oz. of cashews is 156 calories, of which 112 are from fat. And I don't know about you, but I've NEVER eaten just one ounce of cashews--I'd be better off not to have them in the house where I'd pass the pantry and reach for a handful about 3 p.m. when I get the munchies.

I looked up red, green and yellow peppers, and sliced up you’d have about 25 calories, then grill in olive oil add another 40, the grilled onions for another 35; snow peas about 40. So it looks like if you removed the cashews, you still have a delicious vegetable dish, very colorful, with few fat calories. I'd probably skip the dressing too, because it disguises the flavor of the vegetables.

No comments: