Wednesday, October 02, 2013

The government shut down scam

When the rest of us have a set back or need to budget, we move money from the non-essentials. Not the government. Those departments raced to spend their allotment before the end of the fiscal year (Sept. 30) because of the use it or lose it mentality, and always asking for more based on what was spent the previous year. If I were short of cash, I would be making coffee at home for 5 cents instead of paying $2 at a shop where I could chat with my neighbors. If I were running low, I'd make every trip in the car count. And I'd make sure my church pledge was paid before I'd take out the credit card at Macy's.

This government shut down has happened 17 times since 1976. I bounced one check in 53 years because I had 2 checking accounts when I was a private contractor and wrote a check on the wrong account. Imagine your credit rating if you'd done this that often. And you don't even get to print money!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My father-in-law used to remark about some folks “There so liberal their brains have fallen out.” I am reminded of Winston Churchill’s statement that goes something like this: ‘Anyone under 30 who isn’t a liberal hasn’t got a heart. Anyone over 30 who isn’t a conservative hasn’t got a brain.”

I heard yesterday that there was a bit of a conflict between a Republican congressman and Chris Matthews. The congressman, apparently “up” on the facts noted that when his boss (Tip O’Neill) was Speaker of the House, there were 12 occasions when there was a gov’t shutdown (most during the Reagan years).

I think the Republicans are in good shape with the mess of DC right now – ACA (Obamacare) is apparently unable to sign up folks for coverage. Further, people don’t like a ‘privileged class’ voting themselves and their staffers (along with Obama’s encouragement) a subsidy. Most, if not all, of the exchanges are not up and running. Just as Obama said, ‘there will be a few glitches’. Frankly, it is never been more evident that the country is deeply divided. And we who are for less gov’t and more individual responsibility are losing the fight. (I hope I’m wrong). As I said after the second win of the WH by Obama, “You can’t compete with Santa Claus.”
Jim