Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Morning meditations

For my meditation time in the morning I’ve been re-reading Kelly Kullberg’s A faith and culture devotional; daily readings in art, science and life. (Zondervan, 2008)  Not sure when I first read it, but it must have been around the time it was published, about 10 years ago because I think I bought my copy from her husband, David.  We both used to go to Panera’s at 5 points (he still does that but I’ve given up that expensive habit). It’s one of the best “dailies” I’ve ever read, with each day’s reading a challenge with new information.  Today’s reading (they are not dated) is by Walter C. Kaiser, Jr. “Sodom: What archaeology tells us.”  Dr. Kaiser is president emeritus of Gordon-Conwell and executive editor of The Archaeological Study Bible (Zondervan, 2005).  I have a copy of that outstanding Bible, a gift Christmas 2005 from our son.

Dr. Kaiser doesn’t discuss the faith meaning of the story of Sodom in Genesis, but rather the possible location.  “. . .biblical faith contrary to other world religions, insists on the close association of faith and history.” Christians stake everything on the historical reality of the resurrection, Paul asserted in 1 Corinthians 15.

No comments: