Thursday, April 01, 2021

New dishes for the lake house--again

   

I really didn't need new dishes for our lake home, but when I saw these (above), I knew they'd be perfect in the blue and white kitchen with pink touches.  They are Keltcraft (Noritake label made in Ireland), and so far, the most expensive I've had at the lake, $95 for about 50 pieces. As I recall, I originally had blue and white Currier and Ives dishes from the 1950s, free from my friend Adrienne which she was getting rid of when she remodeled her kitchen in the late 80s. Many years later a neighbor on Oak Avenue had a set of blue and white Pfaltzgraff Yorktowne put out for a yard sale.  They didn't sell, so she put a price of $10 on the set and that included the laundry basket they were in, and she enlisted her kids to carry them to our cottage. After a few years I gave the Currier and Ives to a friend who was moving and needed a set of dishes.  

Years before at another yard sale I bought some white china with delicate blue and pink flowers and platinum trim that were going for $25 due to a divorce. They had been a wedding gift and had all the serving pieces and even a tea pot.  I put those aside for "special" times. Then about 8 years ago I found a lovely set of white on white china, International Wakefield 364, about 7 place settings, for $5 at the Lakeside Heritage Society Labor Day sale, and I couldn't pass those up.  I put the Pfaltzgraff in a neighbor's sale and then had two sets of china--neither of which could be used in the microwave, so I had to pick up some pottery for cereal bowls and serving.  Then last summer I found a wonderful hand painted set about 70 years old, Mountain Ivy from Blue Ridge Southern Pottery. at the Lakeside archives sale store.  I love them. I think the set was $25, and they delivered them to the house.




  








My plan is to keep a few pieces of the blue and pink on white floral china for us to use at home, and donate the rest.  As I recall, I have either 10 or 12 place settings, more than we ever could use at the lake. Even if I keep 2 or 4 place settings, there is still a lot to donate.  And now Bob will be able to cook his oatmeal in a nice bowl that matches the plates. 

No comments: