Monday, February 26, 2007

3533 Why do Republicans try so hard to look stupid?

Laura Ingraham (radio talk show host based in California) sounds like she's living 3 centuries back by trying to equate the HPV vaccine with conservative, Christian values. Did she ever raise a daughter? Was she ever a daughter? Your little virgin sweety pie could have saved herself from birth through age 30 for her future husband because of all your careful upbringing, private schools, Sunday school and VBS, and your selection of her peer group, but you didn't raise the man she will marry! And since women get HPV from men, who are you kidding lady? For some reason she thinks that 6th graders will run out and have sex if they have this vaccine's protection from a cancer they won't get until they are 40, despite what they are taught at home and church, but won't behave that way if they don't have the vaccine, being taught the very same values. Are our values that fragile? Someone in this future couple will have had pre-marital sex. HPV vaccine cannot protect your daughter from pregnancy, or herpes, or syphilis, or any number of STDs--nor can a condom--and the vaccine can't protect her against a broken heart and an unfaithful husband. But for the love of God, give her the protection you can for the cancer!

Then they try to top that stupid behavior by seriously considering Rudy Giuliani or John McCain as presidential candidates for 2008, both unfaithful to their wives and personally not men of good character, instead of Romney because he's (whisper) a Mormon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you!! When I heard of this vaccine, I immediatley approached our family physican and asked when it would be available for both of my daughters. I was told that it would be a few months but that he would call me when it was available. The day that I was called, I made an appointment and both girls have now had two of the three required shots and will be getting the third in March. I am so thankful that there is a vaccine out there that can prevent them from getting this terrible disease.......and frankly I don't understand why any mother wouldn't. I too, hear the worries from parents that seem to think that this vaccine will promote our young girls to become sexually promiscuous......and while I have talked to my own girls about sex, marriage and my wishes for them, why would I ever want to take the chance that they might contract a cancer that could have been pre-vented? I love my daughters too much not to give them every chance I can to have a healthy life.If I chose not to give them this vaccine due to the fact that I thought it would enable them to become promiscuous, what kind of mom would I be? Whether or not they choose to stay sexually inactive(which I hope and pray they do) they do deserve to be protected from cancer and I intend to make sure that they are....there are too many other things that I can't protect them from and thank goodness HPV isn't one of them. Besides, as you pointed out, just because our daughters may stay virigns unitl marraige doesn't mean HPV will be won't become a part of their lives, their future hubby may very well bring it in........and how do parents protect their daughters from that??? The ONLY answer here is to get your daughters into your doctors office and GET THEM VACCINATED!!!

Randy Kirk said...

This is a much harder call than you make it out to be. Do you give her birth control pills starting at age 16? Earlier? Do you recommend a condom brand?

I like your argument about the man being a carrier. And, if my girls were that age now, I might get them vaccinated. What is clear to me is that the state has no right to insist on it, and probably should just leave it to folks to do as they see fit.

Norma said...

Condoms don't protect a child against anything (assuming she or he is having sex with someone equally as clumsy and nervous) and by offering them, you're suggesting they do and suggesting she/he will. A vaccine which offers some protection against some genital warts is in a completely different category. You do not raise the young man or woman your child marries. You do not condemn your own child to cancer for not following your guidelines, nor do you condemn your grandchild to the trash bin for the same reason.

Norma said...

And yes, I don't think any vaccine should not have an "opt out" plan if the parent has sincere religious convictions. I still think the parent is wrong, however. What is legal and what is moral are not always the same. I don't want to go back to unsanitary water supplies just so we can all build up our immunity to polio (virtually unknown before modern hygiene).

Dancing Boys Mom said...

Re: the Romney comment (since I have no daughters I've been told I have no say in the argument for/against the vaccine--gee and I thought ultra-liberals were narrow-minded)

At any rate, I do not get the whole thing. What's the big deal if he's a Mormon? Bill Clinton was a Baptist (I think) and look how "great" he was. But, I guess, better a blatant hypocrite than a good man if he's a *gasp* Mormon.

Anonymous said...

They don't have to try....they are!! Wake up and smell the Starbucks!