Sunday, February 18, 2007

3500 Donating books to a library

If your public library is worth diddly squat, you shouldn't have to donate books which balance, common sense and current events require be on the shelves. CAMERA, the Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America has a list at its website of suggested titles for you to purchase and donate to your public library. First of all, donations are not "free"--it costs a lot of money to process and add a book to a collection; second, why should your library, supported by your tax money, be taking sides on the middle east question? If they've bought everything President Carter and leftist, anti-semitic organizations have written on the topic in multiple copies, why shouldn't they include some titles from the pro-Israeli camp? Third, I think this list needs some updating.

Do your homework, and then submit the list to the library director. If you get no response, ask some questions about fairness when the next bond issue comes up. Librarians, as a profession, lean heavily to the left, and occasionally have to be reminded about what they learned in library school.

1 comment:

Melli said...

Hmmmm... well... the only books I donate to the library are all the ones that I wanted to read but were NOT available! I find my library doesn't have a very large selection of Christian novels. And they often don't have ENOUGH copies of the current best sellers! So they GET quite a bit of help from me! I'm also verrrrrry good about keeping the books I DO borrow for an incredibly LONG time - well past their due date so that I can almost always owe $20 every time I go in there! Hubby and I are pretty sure that over the past 20 years I personally paid for the construction of our county's new library! ;)