Thursday, February 22, 2007

Poetry Thursday #8

This week's (completely and totally optional) idea for Poetry Thursday is this phrase: "the body knows." I'm submitting here a poem I wrote in January. One of the ways (other than aches and pains) that our bodies speak to us is discreetly via a mirror--maybe it's in the bathroom or a department store cubicle, or the quick glance in the rear view mirror as we travel to work, sipping the latte, skipping through and humming along with the radio.

Mirror, mirror on the wall
January 26, 2007
by Norma Bruce

You used to be my friend.
We’d hang out together
for hours of girly talk,
share secrets, giggle over
girdles and bobbi pins,
lipstick, powder and mascara.

You used to wait for me.
Chat in the dressing room,
whispering gossip
at the counter where
we’d go to order
double chocolate cherry cokes.

When did you change?
Sometimes I feel you’ve joined
the witness protection program,
embarrassed to see me.
Now you’re pious and prim--
no longer zealous for my best.

Oh, how I miss you, dear heart!
Your face isn’t clear when I squint,
your motives are obscured.
What did I do to offend?
Can’t we go back to the old days,
make silly faces and stay out late?


Here are two others I wrote this week; if you've got a moment. . .:
The vows
When you're falling in love

15 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm trying to write a poem about mirrors and failing at the minute, so I particularly enjoyed reading this!

Natalie said...

I really like the angle of this, where you are talking to your own reflection as if separated from your own self. I guess things will always change...

Dennis said...

Ah, so melancholy! By the way, the answer to your question (in the last two lines) is YES! You must. And p.s. start yesterday. (silly faces are good for the psyche!!)

Anonymous said...

I love how your reflection has changed and you want what used to be. Looking in the mirror is a good exercise.

Rose

xo

Anonymous said...

Great poem, I love the "pious and prim" line. I hope you can reconcile with your reflection, you both deserve best.

gautami tripathy said...

I love mirrors. I wrote one about that long time back.

Ilike this too.

murrayt, read more poetry. You don't know what is poetry. Rhyming is passe now! I don't call you rude but I do call you ignorant.

gautami
In-between state of consciousness

strauss said...

This was lovely to read. It was cute..reminds me of a sweeter time with girl friends. I really like the "witness protection program" line, that was clever.

Regina said...

I really liked this poem, Norma! I like that it's mostly lighthearted, with just a tinge of regret at the end...

Unknown said...

I like the little switcharoo idea of the mirror being the one that changes, nto the person looking into it - it goes well with the fairy tale title...I really enjoyed this piece. Esp. loving "cherry cokes" and "staying out late."

Nice job!

Tammy Brierly said...

I LOVED this! Delightful!

twilightspider said...

I'm not sure I've ever been so friendly with a mirror - but I love your personification of it. This feels so whimsical, but there's such a note of disillusionment throughout, it really grounds the poem.

Jessica said...

I love the conspiratorial nature of the relationship between the mirror and the person, and the longing in the last lines.

Catherine said...

I agree, go back to making silly faces and staying out late. As you get older you are allowed to be outrageous (except around the children who will act horribly embarrassed :) )

Anonymous said...

I love how you were able to make this playful and poignant at the same time. I also love the details--bobbi pins and double chocolate cherry cokes.

Clockworkchris said...

I enjoyed this poem more than anything else I have read on your site-although it is all great. This was really personal-thats what I get into. I don't like mirrors now and I am a youngin' according to most, but men have their issues (HAIR!) :) Thanks for writing something so honest.