Saturday, February 10, 2007

What Women Want

When I started blogging in 2003, I had a small problem finding interesting blogs written by women. Now they've taken over blogdom. The crafters are stunning with gorgeous photos of wip and wonderful group projects; the cooking blogs can put on weight just reading the ingredients; the mommy blogs are so well written you can almost smell the diapers and spit-up and they write vivid descriptions of labor and delivery, something I've tried hard to forget; the photobloggers seem to have a way with cats and nature; the book reviewers with their TBR lists put me to shame; the career blogs are sometimes a bit specialized and require some anonymity if they want to keep their jobs; and of course, the librarian blogs are very high tech but with a light, feminine touch.

Almost every blog I read gets 20-30 times more comments than I do (I get a lot of readers; not many leave comments). There are reasons for this, and you won't be surprised when I tell you why.

1. My age. Yes, folks, I'm old enough to be the mother or even grandmother of some of the ladies whose blogs I link to. This is a huge disadvantage in drawing comments--it's a cultural divide of unbelievable proportions. When Crazy Aunt Purl, who is 30-something, cute, divorced and struggling, not to mention funny and a fabulous cat photographer who knits, writes about getting out of debt with a strict budget, she might get 145 comments! If write about budgeting to stay out of debt, I'd be lucky to get a yawn. It's much better to hear from a peer than someone your mom's age who's never even had a balance on her credit card! Even if I sprinkled my budget advice with adorable photos of my cat, I wouldn't get comments. Aunt Purl and the very political Neo-Neocon's sites act as discussion boards where people return and comment on the remarks of the other readers.

2. Mine is not a happy-clappy blog, cheering on the ladies like some of the boomer bloggers I've read who have come out of life's struggles with a smile and a hug for everyone, and never a critical word. Wow. I love to read them, too--and you should see the comments. Lazy Daisy is just the person to visit if you need a lift--except for that really gross-out story about her son's apartment.

3. I am a conservative, evangelical Christian and am also politically conservative. I could measure the drop off of readership if I even mention abortion or creation. They are lead balloon topics for blogs, unless you're targeting those groups (dominated by male bloggers who think women should keep quiet in their presence). But I can't resist pointing out fallacies and murky thinking when it comes to protecting the weakest.

4. Although I read a lot, I'm really a dabbler, and prefer magazines and newspapers. I have no background in literature (in college I never had a class in British or American literature and rarely read fiction of any type). I like to read the review and literary blogs, but can't really make a contribution.

5. Many of my "regular" readers and commenters that used to stop by closed up shop after a year or so. Some have totally removed the blog site, others have just stopped posting anything. Even two guys I used to visit have disappeared with no explanation.

6. I don't participate in more than one ring, or event at a time. Women just love these things--they are so social! I liked Friday Feast, but moved on to Thursday Thirteen, then left that and took up Poetry Thursday. Many of the women I visit have an event going on every day of the week, sometimes two. Tasks for Tuesday or Wordless Wednesday or Super Bowl Menu and so forth--I think it's like running into each other at the market and stopping for a chat.

7. And lastly, even my friends and family don't leave comments. Some don't even read--they say they are too busy, or can't find them, or have to clean a closet. I read a lot of blogs where the comment windows are like family reunions. If it weren't for good old Murray whom I knew in high school and sends me the obituaries from our home town, you would think I just growed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Norma.....
Just wanted you to know that I do read your blogs every day and get quite a few smiles out of them. I rarely comment, although I should do so more often! I have enjoyed seeing old family photos and learning more about our family history. I have discovered that you and I have quiet a few of the same "takes" on life. Thanks and keep up the blogging.....Amy

Anonymous said...

Interesting post - and your thoughts are similar to some that I have thought about - why is it that some folks get so many comments and others don't?

There are days where I just read and occasionally comment. Then there are days where I try to comment a good bit. I do know that if I see A LOT of comments on a blog, I tend not to respond to the post. I figure I am just one of many responders. I would much rather comment on a thoughtful posting of someone who gets few comments than someone who gets alot.
I participate in a Friday 5 and just began photo hunters for Saturday - as I like to dabble with my camera and thought this would be a good venue for looking at the world in a different way.

Yes, you are probably the most conservative blog I frequent, as I enjoy your posts even though I don't always agree. :)
Great post - lots to think about in the world of blogging.

sallywrites said...

Norma - I really enjoy reading your blog. You write such good common sense and make me smile a lot!

Personally I think it would be very sad if age were a factor for you not getting comments.

I was speaking to my husband about my blog, which some people have said they found funny. Now this may sound strange, but I have never been sure that I am a funny person. This is partly based on a group of slightly self important students, when I was at university, in a comedy theatrical club, who said that I wasn't "funny". That label has since stuck with me for twenty or so years.

I mentioned this to hubby. His response quite sensibly was that a: those people weren't interested in anyone other than themselves and b: your comments on life are bound to be more interesting and pithy aged 44 than aged 22.

Similarly I would hope that by the time I get ten years further down the line more of the same would apply.

To be honest I think that it's a shame that there aren't more blogs from people 50+.

If people don't think so, so then they are missing out on the opportunity for a great deal of wisom that could be on offer!

I like your blog Norma and will continue to read it!

Sally

Norma said...

Awww, Sally. I'm blushing. Must be why I link to you too! Also, I don't "know" anyone else who has a child in the modeling business. And it's interesting to see how many similarities there are in our countries and cultures too.

Anonymous said...

Norma - I consistently read your blog and often find myself repeating your words to my husband later. Didn't you have to "sign up" or something to comment at one time? I was thinking that's why I never commented.

Anyway, I definitely enjoy your point of view and agree with it far more often than not. I'm 47, have always worked in academia, and recently started an MLS program. I plan to bounce ideas off of you one of these days!

Anonymous said...

Hi there...
From one old blogger to another. I am past 60 and just found your blog. What I've read so far is interesting. I'll put you on my reading list. Jan

Randy Kirk said...

My new blog http://godvsnogod.blogspot.com gets way, way more comments than my 3 year-old blog http://ideaplace.blogspot.com. While I agree with some of the reasons you state, I think that folks seem more likely to comment when the post is very controversial or when a question is asked that they want to chime in on.

Also, this blog appeals to a wide audience unlike say rocks in my dryer, where I am probably the only male reader or commenter.

I visit you every day, but only about 20% of your posts are interesting to me. Thats more than the daily paper or even Drudge, so I keep coming back. But I read almost every article in Wired Mag because it is narrow cast.

You are so far ahead of me in readership that I have no idea why I think the above will be important to you, but ......

Norma said...

Randy--When I visited you yesterday I thought you said you weren't getting enough Christians at your god blog. But you're right, I don't ask a lot of questions, but I sure am generous with my answers! Yesterday I checked Aunt Purl and the 145 comments item was up to 172. How does she have time to work?