Saturday, January 26, 2008

Are you really ready to podcast?

Every time I hear the voice of Bob Connors, John Corby, (610 am) or my son, I am reminded that not everyone has a voice for radio. These men are magnificent--a pleasure to the ear (yes, ladies, I'm still taking applications for a daughter-in-law). Now with so many experts, journalists and bloggers going to podcasts I have at least two problems. Oral/aural comprehension is my disability. While my brain is sifting through your prepositional phrases pondering how they fit with the subject and predicate, you have moved on a few paragraphs. But also, it's your voice. Mumbly. Nasal. Slurred. Muffled. Too high. Too low. Ticks of speech. Inappropriate laughs. Microphone noises.

I tried to leave this comment for a woman blogger who was interviewed at a podcast, but her spam filter screened me out, I think. At least it asked several times for the secret code, and I never did see a message that reported success. So here it is, and it's for all you folks who would be shown the door if you applied to do voice-overs.
    I listened to the first few minutes. I much prefer to read information, but do occasionally click to a podcast. I have a suggestion that will make this easier for listeners. I'm not sure when it started (1980s?), but the habit of speakers and lecturers raising the voice at the end of a sentence or phrase as though it had a question mark, is so difficult for the listener. That's our cue for "question?" Perhaps a little practice with play back could fix that. Women seem to do it more than men, and I suspect it began as an attempt to sound more tenuous, less threatening and not so assertive as women moved into positions of power and management. Now, it's just a habit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, I love listening to Bob Connors and John Corby. They do have "the voice" for radio. Their voices have made WTVN 610 very successful. Not only their voices are good, they have the talents and skills to be in the business.

Now... being deaf.. even though I can hear... I can't hear podcasts that well and its not worthwhile. When I go to "You Tube", not many of them I can hear and understand what they are saying. Alot of people do NOT have good voice and good speech so they can let their "listeners" listen with eagerness rather than irritating.

Anonymous said...

Some have a voice for radio - some defiantly don't. I was on TV on a program called 'Good Morning Norway' since my blog was ranked third best European blog and I can tell I don't have the right voice but it was nice anyway :-)

Wishing you a great end to your week!