Monday, January 14, 2008

Monday Memories--Bible Studies I have known

Over at Daniel's site (Alaskan Librarian) I saw a note about John Cotton's Milk for Babes, a catechism published in 1646 and in print for 200 years, intended for children and new Christians. It has been digitized by the University of Nebraska. What makes it interesting (for me) is that it includes in this version, information on how it was digitized, including corrections of typographic errors. Sample:
    Quest. What is Prayer ?
    £nsw. It is a calling upon (a ) God
    in the Name of Christ, by the helpe of
    the Holy Ghost, according to the will
    of God.
I think this is a great definition for prayer, because I've had a bit of a struggle seeing it as "conversation," and "a relationship," which is what we hear these days. I see nothing wrong with the word prayer. Christ's disciples didn't say, "Lord, teach us conversation techniques."

That aside, it did get me to thinking about all the Bible studies I've attended over the years, including last night's led by me, on Matthew's account of Jesus teaching his people how to pray.

My very earliest memories of Bible study are from Faith Lutheran in Forreston, Illinois, and Mrs. T.B. Hirsh using the flannel graph. She (the pastor's wife) was very dramatic and no child ever watched TV more closely than I watched those brightly painted disciples and shepherds move quickly around a flannel field of green and gold, blue and gray. Her nimble fingers would press a cloud in the sky, or a grove of trees on the horizon, or a staff into a hand, all the while I was waiting for the climax of the story from her deep, booming voice. Oh, it was wonderful. I'm sure I had Bible stories at my home church in Mt. Morris before we moved to Forreston, because I remember the little handouts and glossy Sunday School papers with full color pictures, but in my memory bank they've been relegated to the bleacher seats by the more entertaining Mrs. T.B.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. Two-way relationship with God requires our submission, obedience and love to Him. Humility is putting God first in our prayers while pride is putting God last in our prayers. There is "NO" wrong way to pray since prayer is spiritual from the heart. That's between God and the believer.

One thing we have to remember is that prayer basically means “transferring my “will” to God’s will”. God may be witholding what I ask in order to do special work that He have placed me according to His plan and will (2 Corinthians 12:7-10). I also remember that God knows before I ask because He is ALMIGHTY God. Romans 8:26 says that "The Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for". Prayer should never be limited to times, places, or circumstances.