Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The genealogy prayer list

My prayer job jar gets a lot of hits. Here's another list I've been using recently. I participate in a genealogy listserv for the Brethren--Church of the Brethren, Brethren Church, Old German Baptist Brethren, Brethren in Christ, Dunker Brethren, etc. That group is celebrating the 300th anniversary in 2008 of its founding members rebaptizing themselves (that's what anabaptist means) and coming together as a group, first going to Holland from Germany, then on to the United States. So as I do my prayer walk I go through the list in my mind:
    Grandchild of my maternal great grandparents (Jacob and Nancy Weybright) and grandchild of my paternal great, great grandparents (James and Elizabeth Williford)--these ladies are 91 and 93, and still Brethren as were their parents, grandparents and great grandparents, and are members of the same church, although they aren't related to each other; one is my father's aunt (although born later), the other my mother's sister. Then I move on to the grandchildren of my paternal great grandparents--these are my father's siblings and their first cousins and their spouses and a few are Brethren. Then the grandchildren of my paternal grandparents who were Brethren and my maternal grandparents who were Brethren--that would be my siblings and my first cousins and spouses. And then the grandchildren of my parents--my nieces and nephews, my children and spouses. I think Dad's grandma had 12 children and Dad's mother had 9. I don't think there are any in the current generation (my parents' and their siblings' grandchildren) who are Brethren.
So by the time I work through the list, my time is about up!

No comments: