Saturday, March 08, 2008

Thinking about Mom

It's not her birthday; it's not the anniversary of her death; there's nothing going on that reminds me of her. But yesterday I wrote a blog at my church page about her. Today when I was making a dessert, I took special care to use the one little mixing bowl of hers that I have and always try to use even though it's a little small. And now by accident I've found the perfect birthday gift. A book about magazine paper dolls. I don't know why I am always surprised when someone publishes a book on a topic I know a little about, but didn't think there was enough to write a whole book. There always is, because someone collects or saves or archives that topic. How many times did I look at my grandmother's Ladies Home Journal (which went back to the 1890s) only to find the paper dolls were gone. Well, of course! My mother and her sister probably cut them out and played with them. I have a few of them. Based on the WWI uniform, I'd guess these to be 1917 or 1918. The magazines covered by this book are The Delineator, Good Housekeeping, The Housekeeper, Ladies Home Journal, Ladies World, McCall's, Pictorial Review, and Woman's Home Companion, all of which my grandmother subscribed to or purchased. Notice, there's only one outfit for the girl(s)--just guessing here, but they probably played more with the girl dolls and that's why their clothes didn't survive. The toys I have from my childhood are those I didn't use much or love to pieces.

No comments: