Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter 2008

We served communion at the Sunrise service, 7 a.m. When we've done this other years, we've gone a second time with our children, but this year we told them they were on their own. So our daughter and son-in-law went to the 11 a.m. traditional service in the sanctuary and heard Pastor Dave Mann, back from Haiti for Easter week, the organ and the choir, and our son went to the 11:15 a.m. x-alt service in the fellowship hall and heard Joe Valentino, and the loud rock band, which he thought was excellent (he has a band), except he thought the drums were too loud.

Sunrise services don't seem to have the appeal they used to--at least not when Easter is this early. Counting the choir, I'm guessing we only had about 90 people--and almost no young people. When I was a teen-ager it was a big event to go to the school athletic field for a community shared service in Mt. Morris dressed in our Easter best--hat, gloves, high heels, etc., and sit and shiver on the bleachers. Even kids who didn't go any other time, would attend that service. I remember one year I over slept--must have been a junior--so when my date got to our house it was dark. We lived in a small town and people didn't lock the doors. So he let himself in, realized everyone was asleep, and walked upstairs to my bedroom and woke me up.

Here we are for Easter 1969. Bad quality polaroid, but my husband had red hair.



Easter 2007

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never understood sunrise services. I do my best praying about noonish. Or when I ride in the car when my mother drives (it is a bit better since she had the cataract out).

Norma said...

There are no atheists in foxholes, I believe is the old saying.