Monday, March 03, 2008

Sleeping with cats

Actually, I only sleep with one cat, and she has certain habits. In the evening, she will only sleep on my husband's thighs in his lounge chair. Yes, she'll move if she has to, but then she's right back. I'm not 18" away on the couch, but it has to be his legs or nothing. If he's in Haiti, she'll sleep on me, but I don't watch much TV.

Then about 11 p.m. it's my legs, on the bed spread, never under it. But if I wake up about 3 a.m. and can't sleep because she's been rattling the window blinds, I get up and go to the guest room. She follows, thinking, hoping it might be time for breakfast. I'm all settled in, the TV on quietly picking up one of the few channels I can get in that room with no cable. Then THUMP. She's in bed with me. This time, she wants to be under the covers, kneading my tummy 'til we both go to sleep. It's the only time she wants to be under the covers. As soon as I move or roll over, she jumps out.

But this morning there was a mishap. As she struggled to get out of the covers, she landed on my face. I raised my arm to protect myself and she dug in her back claws (no claws on the front which makes a cat's balance unstable). Wow, did that hurt. She got me on my lower lip which started to bleed. So it was into the bathroom to mop up. She looked embarrassed. She didn't mean it. I overslept until 5:45.

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Cats a weird and wonderful. For the time being, we have convinced our cat to go to Cuppa's side of the bed (she has the shorter legs and is th sounder sleeper), but one day he will begin trying to sleep on my side again.

JAM said...

They can be aggravating and loving at the same time. Our cat only has rear claws too, and is very insistent when she wants/needs outside. For some reason, the cat wakes me up to go out, but the dogs tend to wake up Lovely Wife.

Anonymous said...

We sleep wherever our Mom is. We also wake her at 5:00 every morning to feed us. Somedays, she even thanks us for that!