Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Museums in Greece and Turkey

We visited a museum in Corinth, Greece on Friday and one in Turkey on Monday. The antiquities and ruins in both countries are so rich and so layered, a quick tour can't do them justice. The museum in Corinth "contains collections of prehistoric finds, various items ranging from the Geometric to the Hellenistic period, Roman and Byzantine finds, excavation finds from the Asklepieion of Corinth, and a collection of sculptures and inscriptions." I have to admit, after awhile, I can't tell a Roman statue from a Greek statue from an Egyptian statue. And as much as I admire the artistic talent in the mosaics, I wonder about the unnamed thousands who must have toiled over them, regardless of the culture. In Corinth I mainly remember it started to rain and I went in the museum to get warm.




They didn't want us to use flash in the Corinth museum, so these were our two best.



Our pastor, Paul Ulring, in the Turkish Archeological Museum admiring a mosaic.

These cats were not strays.



You need to keep your head when traveling.

No comments: