Friday, October 29, 2010

The Cat Club Register of 100 years ago


The National Library of Agriculture has a digital archive of fascinating publications--The Cat Club Register, is one of them. I've chosen my cats' creative, interesting names from horse registries, because they seem to have all the great names. But 100 years ago, there were some good ones for cats:
    The Prince of Orange

    Oliver Woolleepug

    and Tortietumtee, a tortoiseshell female whose sire was unknown, but her mommy, who was out catting around, was named Toddiegoloddie

In this archive I also found a 1942 typed report of a government lab attempting to create rubber from the goldenrod plant--this was an invention of Thomas Edison who had used this process to create tires for his friend Henry Ford's Model T. He had turned it over to the U.S. government in 1930, which did nothing about it until it was desperate for rubber during WWII.

This one, Small gardens for small folks, 1912, is really precious. The author, Edith Loring Fullerton, uses photos of her own children, and it was published by W. Atlee Burpee for distribution by the USDA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Murray sez:
Hmmmm? I always thought of "The Cat Club" as something different!

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Never joined a cat club. I'm allergic to the critters, though In our previous residence I supported a half dozen feral cats because they kept the squirrels out of my pecan tree. None of them would allow me to touch them, though if the food dish wasn't there on time, a couple of them would climb up the screen door and howl at me.

That obviously would not have qualified me to a cat club.