Thursday, March 03, 2011

Poet from the past on my aunt's refrigerator, Arthur Frederic Otis

My cousin Dianne copied some of the clippings from her mother's refrigerator for us to enjoy. Her funeral was two weeks ago yesterday. Pastor Ginny of the Church of the Brethren had used some of her clippings in her eulogy. My husband said, probably thinking of our own top drawer, that he really enjoyed "The top kitchen drawer" by Arthur Frederic Otis. Just because (I'm a librarian), I checked this author in Google. I didn't find a lot, but more than what most people have. He was born in 1895 and died in 1984--a very long life for someone of his generation--almost 90. As near as I can tell his publishing life began rather late--the first thing I could find was from the mid-1940s, and he had a number of poems, verses, and short fiction published in the Saturday Evening Post, and The Rotarian, and I even found a few songs.

But sadly, the first thing I found was a death notice for his son, Arthur Frederic Otis, Jr. in an Illinois veterans' database: "Otis, Arthur Frederic Jr., Pfc., USMCR - Son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur F. Otis Sr., 600 Riford Rd., Glen Ellyn." In 1945, Arthur Sr. published (apparently privately) a book titled, "Forever nineteen." Searching a little deeper, I found this title listed with other books about WWII battle of Okinawa, where young, very young, Arthur was killed in action, June 20, 1945. How the family (I found 2 sisters in a historical society obituary notice) must have grieved, and I wonder if this publication, written when he was 50, started his writing career. Arthur Otis was also in the University of Illinois alumni database, but I don't know what his professional life was. In November 1948 he filed for copyright for a book of poetry, Dancing Shadows, 128 pages. However, I think his best creative act was the smiles of his readers, like Aunt Muriel, with his light verse about ordinary things like cluttered drawers, flat tires, and the things of everyday, mundane life.

Aunt Muriel (94) with her newest great grandson (7 weeks) a few days before she died. And if Aunt Muriel were alive, she would have loved this story!

No comments: