Monday, January 14, 2013

The clean out sort of fizzled

I started a major clean out the week of New Year's, I was going through boxes, repacking and pitching, but it fizzled. I'd
planned to go through all the greeting, holiday  and  sympathy cards, but after the project sat half finished, I put them all back in the box and pushed it under the bed . After reading through notes, some 20 years old or more, I just sighed.  Obviously, older ones are somewhere,  but where? I guess I’ll leave it for my daughter to figure out.  She’ll have no probably throwing everything out.

Then I bundled up a huge stack of clothing--mostly blazers from
the 90s and took them to the Discovery resale shop, along with craft items I'll never finish. I think one was an embroidery project from my last pregnancy (1964), and I'm not sure exactly what it was supposed to be. I was never very good at it. I wasn’t able to find a home for the cute window shade material I found in the attic, so it went too.  I took in two twin bed quilt/covers.  In our Abington Rd. house I had a border painted to match the print. They just take up too much space and will never be used again for anything except an extra blanket. Let's hope we never lose power in the winter, because they were my fall back option.

The genealogy genie has been visiting, and I’m getting a few blanks filled in.  Yesterday I found my husband’s cousin Jane—she wasn’t exactly lost, but we didn’t have an address.  I plan to send a note to my first cousin Joe whose name came up on the internet as a chef in a restaurant in Upland, CA.  I’ll see if he can tell me where his siblings are. It seems odd to know where a 3rd cousin twice removed is buried, but not have an address for a first cousin.

No comments: