Sunday, April 09, 2023

Twenty arguments for the existence of God by Peter Kreeft

 Twenty Arguments God's Existence by Peter Kreeft (& Ronald K. Tacelli)

Peter Kreeft is a philosopher, and maybe the most famous Christian philosopher of our era.  He published this theme of 20 arguments for God's existence about 30 years ago.  I can't remember not believing in God, so I didn't have to be convinced and never debated it. I've also never taken a philosophy class. So 20 arguments is impressive.  My earliest memory of this was when I was about 4 or 5, and I thought God looked like our mailman, Mr. Bechtold, and wore a blue gray uniform. He was older than my parents, and I certainly knew other people who had uniforms (it was WWII and just about all the men I knew were in uniform, including my father and uncles). But I do remember sitting on the front steps of our house on Hitt Street watching him walk by and deliver the mail from a brown bag.  I must have been a very deep thinker at that age. Later around age 7 I recall lying in the grass at night looking at the sky with all the stars and realizing there was something much larger than my family, town, church, friends, school and pets, in short, bigger than my little universe.

If I had to choose one of the twenty, it would be number 5, Design. This awes me every day, every minute.  I notice it all the time.  The other 19 might be fun for philosophers to think about, and some or most of Kreeft's list I don't even understand.  Design is easy.  Works for me.

No comments: