Saturday, April 07, 2007

3665

Parting company

Where I part company with many Conservatives.

Politics

  • I'm against the death penalty. Don't let the evil scumbags turn you into a killer.
  • I believe marijuana can be a controlled substance for medical treatment, just like other mind altering legal drugs.
  • I believe drug sentencing is too punitive and counter-productive--at least in Ohio. 60% of our prison population is drug related (I've heard, haven't researched it). Prisons are schools for crime, and we should stop sending so many novices there, because they will graduate and return to us.
  • I think Creationists need to stay clear of the public schools. We haven't even convinced our own folks, so why go after non-believers? No one ever got to heaven because of believing in creation, nor was sent to hell because of evolution. Plus, you're not being truthful about your motives and that hurts your witness for Jesus.
  • Schools need to allow students the freedom to be Creationists or write or speak on the topic without fear of punishment or grade reduction.
  • I don't believe in the current political race for the brass ring called global warming, but I also believe that many conservatives don't take the precautions and care they should with the environment. Clean air and clean water is good for our health and for capitalism.
Religion

  • I'm not a dispensationalist Christian. Not that all conservatives are, but many that are cherry pick their way through the Bible finding end-times principles to apply to politics that aren't there.
  • Most Biblical admonitions about sexual behavior and morality are addressed to men lusting after women, not to gay men. Pay attention to your own plank before looking for the splinter.
  • The Biblical record is clear that Jesus intended women to have an equal role in the church.
  • I'm fine with infant baptism and don't believe in rebaptizing, although I appreciate my anabaptist heritage. Watching an infant baptism is a wonderful reminder of our need to rely totally on God.
  • If you've got a well written liturgy, faithfully followed, it makes up for poor sermons and unsingable hymns.
Others

  • I don't believe pets are "just like family," but once you take one into your home, you have obligations and responsibilities for training, veterinary care, love and affection.
  • I believe homeschooling is good and soundly educational, especially for the parents who will have more actual learning and support than if the children attended public or private schools, but it isn't always better for the children. There's nothing wrong with doing it for mom or dad if they become better parents.
  • Our children come into this world as unique beings, with everything in place to be successful and happy. If they don't get there, it may not be your fault, and it definitely is not the government's. Take the blame where you deserve it, and dump the guilt if you don't.

3 comments:

Norma said...

It's really hard to get Catholics or conservative Protestants to look at how Jesus treated women and translate that to today's culture. But I love the resurrection story for that very reason--that the most unbelieveable, fantastic truth was entrusted to women who were then told to find the disciples (who were so obtuse at times) and tell them.

Liberal Christians have no problem with an equal role for women, but they sure have a problem with Jesus, so them I don't count. Their take is strictly cultural, not biblical.

Tex Swiss said...

I don't understand what point Norma is trying to make about 'Liberal Christians'. If liberal Christians have a problem with Jesus, why are the Christians?

I'm a Christian, and liberal, yet I have no problem with Jesus whatsoever! Your sweeping generalization based on absolutely no evidence belies a bias, dear Norma!

But to the author of this blog - I like your philosophy - you are one of the more reasonable Christian bloggers that I've ever come across.

My only problem is the homeschooling. My favorite quote about homeschooling is this: "My children are homeschooled, so that I can assure that they will never learn anything I don't already know!"

I believe a child should be taught each subject by a person who has advanced degrees in said subject. I was taught math by math phds, physics by physics phds and English by English phds. My parents, while highly intelligent, do not have the necessary knowledge in each field to provide a complete education. It is my opinion that one person should be taught by many.

Other than that, keep up the good work!

Norma said...

Super said: "If liberal Christians have a problem with Jesus, why are the Christians?"

Often asked that myself. Perhaps we're not using the same vocabulary. By "liberal Christians" I do not mean politically liberal. I was a Democrat and an evangelical Christian for years.

Here's some clues you might be among liberal Christians: They pray to "Mother-Father God; never use a male pronoun with the Trinity; have regular debates on whether Jesus is the only way to salvation; change all the words in public domain hymns to be gender sensitive; and think the Christian view of the death of Jesus on the cross is child abuse. Among others. But at that point I usually know it is time to leave the service for a potty break.