Sunday, April 08, 2007

3667

He thinks Al Gore is an alarmist

and he's been in the hurricane prediction business for two decades. Before Katrina, before Al Gore's movie, but after the 2004 hurricanes that hit Florida, William Gray, the world's most famous hurricane expert was interviewed by Discover magazine.

"A few years ago, you almost called it quits because you’d lost so much funding. What made you continue?

G: I don’t have the budget that I had, so I have cut my project way back. I am in retirement. I’m still working every day, but I don’t teach and I don’t have as many graduate students and as much financial need. I’ve got a little money from Lexington Insurance out of Boston, and I have some National Science Foundation money. For years I haven’t had any NOAA, NASA, or Navy money. But I’m having more fun. Right now I’m trying to work on this human-induced global-warming thing that I think is grossly exaggerated.

You don’t believe global warming is causing climate change?

G: No. If it is, it is causing such a small part that it is negligible. I’m not disputing that there has been global warming. There was a lot of global warming in the 1930s and ’40s, and then there was a slight global cooling from the middle ’40s to the early ’70s. And there has been warming since the middle ’70s, especially in the last 10 years. But this is natural, due to ocean circulation changes and other factors. It is not human induced.

That must be a controversial position among hurricane researchers.

G: Nearly all of my colleagues who have been around 40 or 50 years are skeptical as hell about this whole global-warming thing. But no one asks us. If you don’t know anything about how the atmosphere functions, you will of course say, “Look, greenhouse gases are going up, the globe is warming, they must be related.” Well, just because there are two associations, changing with the same sign, doesn’t mean that one is causing the other."

He notes that he lost a lot of his funding when the global warming views became popular during the Clinton administration. Go figure! You mean there's money in the politics of science? Surely not!!!!

Global warming is a hoax. Washington Post story about Gray. He thinks in about 8 years we'll be cooling again--hmmm, around the time Gore will be finishing his 2 terms launched by his chicken little platform. Long enough for him to have destroyed our businesses and industry and taxed us to the warming heavens and back.

No comments: