OIG made seven recommendations to improve the use of record emails by Department of State employees and mission staff members.
- OIG recommended establishing a process to review record email usage across missions and bureaus, as well as issuing guidance to Department of State employees and mission staff members that specifies their record-keeping responsibilities, provides examples to guide choices among cables and record and working emails, and suggests the establishment of record email policies.
- OIG recommended convening functionally defined focus groups to identify practical examples of official records;
- canvassing through focus groups in all bureaus periodically to identify obstacles to the use of SMART for record emails and cables;
- establishing an Electronic Records Management Working Group to advise on record emails and related issues;
- making introductory and refresher courses on records management a requirement for Department of State employees.
- OIG also recommended expanding the Foreign Service Institute’s current record email training curriculum to include hands-on SMART client and classroom training
- additional material on record-keeping requirements.