Monday, March 19, 2007

Monday Memory

Aunt Betty

My Aunt Betty is in poor health and has entered a nursing home; we are all very sad for her and her husband, one of my dad's younger brothers. Betty is 8 years older than me, and I remember when I was about 14 or 15, we went to a Mother-Daughter Banquet at church together, she as a stand-in for my mom who was busy doing something else. In small town churches, these were big events with a dinner and program and music. I think we dressed in our best and even wore hats! We giggled and laughed like kids--which looking back, I suppose we were. She is a wife, mother, grandmother, great grandmother, sister, aunt, loyal friend, and former avid golfer and bridge player. She was Mrs. Clean, a perpetual cleaning machine, and had an energy level that just wore me out. She lived a few doors from my grandparents and was a big help and comfort to them as were her children. This photo was taken at her job, and I don't know the year, but I'm guessing maybe 25 years ago. The flowers indicate it may have been a special day.

1 comment:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

I just hate it when I read stories like this and see smiling faces in happy pictures and then hear that these sweet people are in nursing homes. My...getting old is just not what you look forward too, is it? You wrote a nice tribute to your aunt though. Thanks for stopping by my blog today also.
Sandy