Tuesday, March 13, 2007

3575

Compression hose

I've been checking regularly on my daughter, diagnosed with deep vein thombosis (DVT) a week ago. She had three shots in her abdomen to dissolve the clot, and is now on coumadin. She says that although she still has a lot of pain, the compression hose help a lot. Since we're flying to Ireland in the fall, I thought I'd try them. Her vascular surgeon (actually not "hers" specifically, but she has worked with him in his medical practice and he is consulting with her) recommends that everyone wear compression hose for travel--even men. There are medical level and comfort level, so I went to CVS and bought a $15 pair of compression hose designated 8-15 for tired legs. My legs weren't tired, but I am only experimenting, remember.

Before I put them on, both my shoes and the waist band in my slacks fit. Within 2 minutes of putting them on (and that's not easy), the shoes were too big and the waist band too small. It's the first time I've ever had any body part go north instead of south.

6 comments:

jicalo said...

you guys should go to things of interest

Norma said...

"I was looking for some advise with my finances". . . hmmm. . .no I don't think so.

Anonymous said...

That sounds excruciating!

Bonita said...

Most of the jobs I've had over the past 16 years involved standing all day, moving around. Add on gardening, housework, etc, and I'd be on my feet 14 hours a day. I couldn't have done it without support hosery - especially the men's knee highs ($16.00 a pair). Kept me pain free and energized. I still wear them 24 - 7, all day.

Norma said...

Bonita--I wondered how you did it all. Your web site is amazing.

Randy Kirk said...

Totally off subject and just pulling one little line from your post -

While in Ireland take the long, sometimes boring drive around the ring of Kerry (sp?) in the south. Take your favorite refreshment with you, because unless things have changed, there are almost no places to buy beverages along the way.

However, by the end of that trip, you will probably believe in leprechauns, fairies, and other Irish lore. It is really all I remember of my 6 days in Ireland.

Happy St Patty's day.