Saturday, March 31, 2007

The night Research went on a joy ride

In my Thursday Thirteen I'd mentioned working on a poem. It may not stay exactly in this form. April is poetry month--write or read a poem.

The night Research went on a joy ride
by Norma Bruce
March 31, 2007

Surprise and his best friend Serendipity
picked up the good-looking Research.
As they left the house that night
her mother, Discipline, was nagging and
her dad, Questioning, looking for a fight.

So they sent along her younger brothers
Assumption, Guess and Hunch
who rode along in the back seat
to throw spit balls in the stacks
and trip Librarians they would meet.

Along the way they picked up
Strategy and Documentation
who kept them from caution tossing
to the wind as the lovers parked
on Mount Concept Glossing.

When they stopped to refuel they hailed
Curiosity and Argument waiting for a ride,
noticing Challenges and Debates smoking
language and meaning in the dark
where Inquiry and Paradox were groping.

It was a wild ride that night,
with passionate struggles and heavy breathing.
And now poor Research is pregnant.
Will she birth a fat Report, short Novel
or just a Sweet Little Memory segment?

2 comments:

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I'm so glad I found this poem. It is so interesting, it wants to be read again. I am linking to one poem I either really like or find quite interesting on Mondays on my poetry site. I want to link to this one this coming Monday. I am not commenting on them, merely letting my readers find their own connections with them.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh a fellow word player! This is a clever poem. It reads a bit like the Jabberwocky. I like it! I found your blog through Marcia's blog.