Friday, June 01, 2007

3863

Big garage sale today

I'm off to help with my daughter's garage/estate sale. The proceeds will help pay off the bills for her mother-in-law's final illness. She was about to bring up a load of clothes all with the original price tags while we talked on the phone last night. I suggested she use two ladders with a beam between because the garage was so stuffed she had no place to put them. Two ladies who had been pestering them to take a peek had just been let in the garage by her husband. "Oh my God," I heard one of them shriek. So she sold about $200 in costume jewelry, and I don't think anything was priced over $3.00. She said you can't even tell anything is gone.

It's going to be a long hot day--the area needs rain, but just not today, please. I may not get my 2.5 miles in.

She's tough!


8 boxes of cookbooks

Lenox roses

Vintage purses

china and costume jewelry

Update: I got 2 wonderful silver necklaces for $.50 each (although she actually just gave them to me for helping), and a Taste of Home annual cookbook which I've already used, and some Christmas coasters.

4 comments:

JAM said...

Hope the sale goes/went well. Personally, I'd rather take a beating than to prepare for and work a garage sale. But if they can raise some money for the bills, then I certainly hope all the customers are generous.

Charlotte A. Weybright said...

Hi Norma:

Our neighborhood is holding a garage sale at the end of June - one of those commuity-type things.

I have never participated or held a sale, but I am going to do it this year. I just have so much "stuff" to get rid of. I kept wavering back and forth between donating the clothing items or selling them.

I will compromise. Once the sale is over, then anything left will go to donation. I sure am not going to pack everything away for another time.

It does sound like it can be fun but just a lot of work.

I love the necklaces - what finds.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Closed on new (well, used) smaller house last week. Packing all this week, you wouldn't believe the garage sale we're gonna have about the seventeenth. I may sell almost anything. (I have almost a thousand books to give away including 13 volumes of the 1908 Edition of the NEW INTERNATIONAL ENCYCLOPEDIA including the 1908 year book.) As a result of her surgery and faithful dieting since we came home from Finland my dear one has lost about sixty pounds. She is having a ball giving away clothing.

Norma said...

You need just the right customers, and anything will sell. My daughter's idea of packaging her VCR tapes by subject or performer worked well, but the prices were low too. Like 5 musicals for $4.50, or all X-Files for $7.50. At a garage sale, I usually don't pay more than $1 for a book.

Congrats to the wife on the weight loss. She'll have fun buying new stuff! And she'll be healthier.