Wednesday, June 27, 2007

3934

No dog in this fight

There's a discussion going on at BeliefNet's blog by Kuo on whether Apple users are "religious" about their Macs and devotion to Steve Jobs. David Kuo writes as an "Appleist." One commenter writes that they do have cult like behavior:
    "They all tend to be the edgy, artsy, wanna-be SEEN as mad-genius types who want power over others so that they can 'teach' that person how to live / eat / dress / what to smoke and what not to smoke / etc. Ergo, an overwhelming portion of liberals (not classical liberals, mind you) use Macs and worship its creator.

    Of course you can't convince them of this. Have you ever had a conversation with a cultist of any stripe? No matter what ground you are standing on, persecution is to be expected and re-inforces their identity with the group. You are a labeled an outsider who does not have their special knowledege of salvation. Likewise, when they have a problem with their religion/cult, it is instinctively their own problem and not due to anything on Apple's behalf."
I guess everyone I know is just a stodgy, frumpy ol' PC user. I do resent the Apple ads, but insulting your competition is old stuff in advertising. I'll stay out of this one, but if you're using a Mac and causing me problems, now I know why.

2 comments:

JAM said...

I've owned a couple of macs in the past, but have had PCs for several years now. Especially since they both now use the exact same hardware, it's even harder to chose mac over PC. The only difference is the operating system.

And their operating system is definitely superior to Windows XP and Vista.

I just recently ordered myself a new PC and looked into Apple computers, hoping to "go back" because I much prefer their operating system, but the price for the exact same harware with Windows is hundreds of dollars more. So I ordered another Dell PC.

One thing I did not like about the Apple/Macs is that when finding help groups on the internet, and asking questions for help, I was treated like a moron.

Windows PCs are much more prone to viruses and strange things happening which are hard to diagnose and fix, but I've learned to do it myself over the years. So for me, an Apple computer is definitely NOT worth the extra money. In fact, it's kind of insulting, to me at least, that the exact same hardware with two different operating systems can be $600 different in price.

As I said, I like Apple's operating system, it's like "butta," but it isn't worth nearly that much more money.

I don't know about Apple religion, but many user's sure are snobs. I guess they have to be to justify spending hundreds more when the hardware is the same.

Randy Kirk said...

We Mac users aren't snobs or cultish. We merely prefer the company of superior beings.