Thursday, June 21, 2007


Thursday Thirteen--13 Singers I didn't know I missed

On Monday we got a digital box for our cable TV and some new features, including the music channels. One is classic country. It plays, without voice overs or advertising, C&W songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I'm hearing singers I didn't know I'd forgotten. Most of the time I recognize the voice and song, but sometimes I have to walk into the living room and see who's singing. Guess I don't listen much to music radio any more. A few I've enjoyed this afternoon
    Charley Pride
    Tanya Tucker
    George Strait
    Crystal Gayle
    Jerry Reed
    Tammy Wynette
    George Jones
    Roseanne Cash
    Floyd Cramer
    The Judds
    Hank Williams, Jr.
    Waylon Jennings
    Ronnie Milsap

10 comments:

Chelle Y. said...

I saw Tanya Tucker sing at Magic Mountain when I was a little girl. I love some of the old country songs. We listened to Clenn Campbell and Tom T. Hall!

Chelle Y.

impwork said...

Not C&W but the artist I most miss would possibly be Tanita Tikaram for her interesting mix of jaunty tunes and dark lyrics.

JAM said...

I love it when I'm home alone, I put on one of the music channels. Usually something mellow and instrumental, or I find I stop reading or concentrating on what I'm trying to accomplish because I'm following the tune or lyrics in my head. The instrumental stuff doesn't distract me. It's a great unheralded feature of digital cable.

Susan said...

My first favorite singer ever was Glenn Campbell. This was before my Donny Osmond days, so I was younger than 8. A while back I bought a greatest hits cd of his. Fun to listen every once in a while.

Can't beat George Strait, even when I'm not in a country mood...what a voice.

RennyBA said...

This brought back some good old memories to me too - even some of them known in Norway at the time. I do remember Tammy and Hank at least:-)

Tink said...

I know some of them. I was a big Abba fan as a child, but I still play their music!
My TT is about Litha (Midsummer).

Jane said...

Isn't it nice to re-discover some old favorites. I'm glad you're enjoying them.
My T13 is up.

Joan said...

I enjoy the country songs from that period. I like the way you put it -- "singers I didn't know I'd forgotten"!

Lady Jane said...

I love George Strait! He's got such great songs.

My list is here.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

My parents are big country music fans and I grew up with most of those. Thanks for bringing back memories :)