Wednesday, October 10, 2007

4204

Chicken and salmonella

The news was full of some Salmonella stories this morning--pot pies, I think. Chicken just must be cooked thoroughly before you eat it. Same with giving uncooked meat to your pets. They all have it. Kill it!
    "The company reminds consumers that these products are not ready-to-eat, and must always be thoroughly cooked as instructed on the packages," the company said in a statement on its Web site. "The cooking instructions for these products are specifically designed to eliminate the presence of common pathogens found in many uncooked products."

    The pot pies in question have the code P-9 printed on the side of the package, ConAgra said." CNN

I served chicken cordon bleu (swiss or Provolone and ham rolled inside chicken breast) the other night, with cooked carrots and fresh greens salad, banana nut muffin with sugar free Cool Whip. Yummy. However, I did purchase the chicken roll ups at Fresh Market, which is the next best thing to having a chef drop by at dinner time. The instructions said, "Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes wrapped loosely with foil. Uncover and bake approximately 15 more minutes. I added 5 minutes, and still think it should have been more, because my husband's portion was just slightly pink. Next time. . . I'll adjust the cooking time and also split the portions. My husband complained that they were too large. Hmm. I had no problem at all.

1 comment:

JAM said...

That bit of salad on the plate sure looks good. I don't really care for salad much, but when you put a bunch of stuff in one like that, I love it.

We try to be really careful cooking meats. My wife loves a medium rare steak now and then, but otherwise we cook things well done.