Friday, October 05, 2007

4183

For the veterans who protest the war

I completely support your right to do so; this is the kind of freedom we're fighting for there. People in muslim controlled dictatorships certainly don't have this right. Don't let any lying senator try to shut you down they way they're going after Rush Limbaugh.

At the same time, it's possible your high school social studies classes were a bit light in the loafers and only included information about evil businesses or government abuses. Here's an older item from my blog about a veteran, Eli, who lived in my home town:
    I had looked up this battle because in reading War Record of Mount Morris I noticed a WWII veteran from our town, Eli Raney, I considered "old" when I was young (although truthfully, I thought anyone over 25 was old). Born in 1892, he was 50 when he reenlisted during WWII and he served 14 months in frontline construction in New Guinea and the Philippines. So I flipped to the back of the book for his WWI service and see that he was a member of Company D, of the 104th infantry, and arrived in France in August 1918, just in time to be in this battle [the battle of Saint-Mihiel in September in which 7,000 men were lost, and went down in the history books as "a morale boost" but not a big battle]. He was not among the wounded, but was wounded in the Argonne campaign."

No comments: