Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Totally Optional Prompt

Today's prompt is a poem by Ted Kooser about the horse, "its hide a hot shudder of satin/ head stony and willful. . ." For this I pull out an old one, written on the occasion of Lou Ferrigno's 50th birthday in 2002. He is the actor who played "The Hulk." The photo is me with my horse at a trail ride. The poem is about noticing the changes as I went from being a straight and skinny child to a more adult figured young woman.



Happy Birthday, Lou Ferrigno

Today it was announced
with little surprise
That the Hulk had turned 50;
so did my thighs.

Yes, back in ‘52
I fell from a horse,
Noticed my body shifting--
southward, of course.

Legs that outran all the boys
in school races,
Now slowed down and waited
for a few paces.

The limbs that scrambled up and
were scraped on trees
Became pudgy, dimpled
soft above the knees.

The body so straight and slim
looked like a rack,
Now grew fat and fleshy
I knew for a fact.

So it’s with mixed emotion
and a few sighs
Eat cake and ice cream,
“Happy Birthday, dear thighs!”


10 comments:

Jo said...

Oh Norma I love this! So funny, yet so sad....

paisley said...

given time and gravity,, you will never be alone....

Pauline said...

ah yes - the pudgy dimples - this made me chuckle and sigh in commiseration at the same time

Anonymous said...

LOL
I do not live in Afghanistan as you surmised but my saying it is intentional. The world would be a better place if every poet imagined that they lived where their point of view is way different that what they are accustomed.

Tumblewords: said...

Laughing! Funny thoughts and yet there's a certain poignancy about a changing body - particularly when it might... Nice post!

Deb said...

Funny, sweet, and oh so true!

Anonymous said...

Sad but a true reflection. It made me think...

Mad Kane said...

Ha! Well done.
Mad Kane

Andy Sewina said...

Refreshingly honest - I love the way it races along - and oh, that picture!

Akelamalu said...

What a great poem!

Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment, I hope you'll call again.

I have a Nursery Rhyme Quiz going on at the moment if you fancy having a go! :)